Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Upper Madison Salmon Flies, Big Hole Excursions, Missouri River Giants

Hello all, being my first post of the 2009 guide season let me first just say how happy I am to be back fishing at home after a spring full of global travel. There's really nothing like Montana!
I've been all over the place this month chasing trout. I've spent a lot of time on the Big Hole which has fished great this June. Some of my better days on the Big Hole were taken this month. Last week a few buddies of mine came up from Colorado for a few days and we ventured with Ty to do an overnight on the Big Hole. We had a great first day between Divide and Melrose on streamers and dries. They're eating the golden stones pretty good through there. The second day we floated higher up from East Bank and had it a little slower. Though I was not there for it, the salmon lies on the Big Hole were great this year. This river is still fishing quite well...
I spent a few days fishing the MO before the big spike and had a sweet time throwing dries at big lips. The PMDs have been prolific and the fish are eager to go for a caddis as well. Right now the river is running hard from the recent spike and long nymph rigs is pretty much the only way to find em. As it comes down though, dry fly fishing will return for July.
This week I have been on the Upper Madison looking at plenty of salmon flies! Yes, its happening people. On Monday I saw them popping in between Varney and town. Fish were rising to them, although not in a hay day. The fish we caught had bulging bellies full of salmon fly nymphs. Fishing has continued to be good on the hatch as it moves upstream. This is a great time to fish this river. Book a guide and we can show you how awesome upper Madison salmon flies can really be! There's some real hogs eating up there.We'll see you out there,
Daniel

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home